Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why I Play

I've been very enthusiastic -- if not fanatical-- about the game over the last year. I'm approaching one year of continous play. I've progressed more then I would have imagined. I got out and played several courses this year, and started to build both my confidence and skills.

I wanted to reflect for a moment about why I play the game of golf. There are many reasons, but I'd guess the most important one is to focus on improving myself (i.e. becoming a better player and a better person overall). Golf is a way for me to keep connected to my friends, who have played for a very long time. Also, it's a way for me to develop acquaintances and friendships with other golfers who want to improve their game. A round of golf is a journey. You see how well you can get through the course. I'm pleased with my performance this year overall -- though I may have gone a little overboard with all of the golf stuff I've bought: clubs, bags, shirts, pants, shoes, balls, gloves, training aids, books -- I've definitely added to the golf economy!

This year I want to focus on not spending so much money on equipment. I have all that I need to be a very good player. So, it's now all about practice and play -- whenever I can make it out to the course.

I also want to remember that I have a rich life outside of golf. If I hadn't discovered other interests such as theater, music, dance, and technology, I may have missed a lot of enriching things -- which I now enjoy in addition to golf. But, at the moment, golf is a primary focus as a means to health, fitness and sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment